Ahead of our trunk show on 11 and 12 September with top British shoemaker Gaziano & Girling, we curate a selection of 10 of the greatest quotes ever uttered about shoes, tailored for a male audience. Adhere to this advice — and be sure to put your best foot forward, gentlemen.
10. “Wanna know if a guy is well dressed? Look down.” —George Frazier, midcentury Esquire magazine men’s style pundit
9. “Invest heavily in your bed and your shoes, because if you’re not in one then you’re in the other!” —George Glasgow Snr., master cordwainer, George Cleverley
8. “You can never take too much care over the choice of your shoes.” —Christian Dior, genius couturier
7. “To wear dreams on one’s feet is to begin to give a reality to one’s dreams.” —Roger Vivier, ‘the Fabergé of Footwear’, inventor of the stiletto
6. “Good shoes will take you to good places.” —Anon.
5. “I firmly believe that with the right footwear one can rule the world.” —Bette Midler, performer, recipient of wind beneath wings
4. “Shoes transform your body language and attitude. They lift you physically and emotionally.” —Christian Louboutin, founder of eponymous red-soled footwear brand
3. “I feel that flip-flops are the downfall of many relationships. It’s like, first it’s the flip-flops, and then it’s the sweatpants… it’s the gateway drug to no sex.” —Lady Gaga, performer / meat-based couture enthusiast
2. “Craziness in a shoe is great — you can have much more freedom, you can exaggerate and it doesn’t feel stupid. But to have too much craziness near your face, that would just feel weird.” —Miuccia Prada, designer and fashion magnate
1. “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. You are the guy who’ll decide where to go.” —Dr. Seuss, philosopher / connoisseur of colourful breakfasts
To make an appointment with Gaziano & Girling master shoemaker Daniel Wegan whilst in residence at Kevin Seah 11 & 12 September, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone +65 6532 2018. (All imagery courtesy of Gaziano & Girling.)